Sunday, January 27, 2013

Hellboy Final color.


Perhaps I should have mentioned this in my previous post, but it took a while to get the lighting situation that I felt worked. Since the setting is Easter Island, I started with a more cheery look with more daylight lighting and punchier colors. That just didn't look quite right. However, I didn't want to go with super gloomy or foggy colors, so I started hitting sunset colors. That still didn't quite feel right. The breakthrough came when I painted the background sky with that super cyan blue at the bottom. It totally gives the scene a slightly supernatural vibe. With that in place, I could still keep the punchier colors in the foreground and really pop Abe and Hellboy. The rest was just brushwork and adding texture. This piece came together very quickly.

No comments: